Do you have a complaint about Citizens Advice?

If we have let you down, tell us.

We want everyone who uses Citizens Advice to be happy with the service we provide. That’s why, if we’ve let you down, we want to hear from you – no matter how big or small the issue is. 

Often, we will be able to put things right. Even when we can’t, knowing where we have gone wrong will help us to do better in the future. We promise to deal with every complaint quickly, professionally and confidentially.

Asking the local Citizens Advice to resolve the problem

It’s important to the local Citizens Advice to know what we have done wrong, so we can do our best to put it right. Don’t be afraid to speak to the Manager or person in charge of complaints. They will often be able to solve the problem straight away. If they can’t, or you’re still not happy, you can make a formal complaint.

Making a formal complaint

There are several ways to make a formal complaint. You can write a letter explaining what happened and send it to the address listed further down this page, or drop it in to the local Citizens Advice centre you are complaining about. Alternatively, you can call or email the Citizens Advice Feedback team using the details listed further down this page, and they will pass your complaint on to the right person.

Your complaint will be investigated by someone who is not directly involved. If it’s upheld, we will apologise fully – and, if appropriate, let you know what we’re doing to put things right.

We aim to respond to every complaint within eight weeks. If it’s going to take longer than this, we’ll explain why and keep you informed of progress.

Asking for a review

If you feel we haven’t dealt with your complaint properly, or you aren’t satisfied with the outcome, you can us as to review the decision.  Please make sure that you ask for this within four weeks of receiving the decision by contacting the Feedback team – contact details are shown below.  The review will be overseen by our Chief Executive.

Using an independent adjudicator

If you are still not happy with the decision, you can refer your complaint to an independent adjudicator.  An independent adjudicator is someone unconnected to Citizens Advice who will decide whether we have dealt with your complaint fairly.

If you want to progress to this stage, you must contact us within four weeks of receiving your review decision from Citizens Advice. Contact the Feedback team using the details listed below.

Contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service

The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free, independent service for clients to solve disputes with not for profit debt advice service providers. The Financial Ombudsman Service will only step in once a local Citizens Advice has had the opportunity to investigate a complaint, so please contact the local service first.

If your complaint is about debt advice or if you were seeking advice about your credit record and you are not satisfied with the final response, or if eight weeks have passed since you first let us know about your concerns, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman to review your complaint.

Who to complain to

Local Citizens Advice

The Manager of the local Citizens Advice centre or the Chair of the Trustee Board at the address below:

Citizens Advice Bristol
48 Fairfax Street

To contact the Citizens Advice Feedback team : 0300 231 900

Financial Ombudsman Service

By post:
Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Way
E14 9SR

By phone:
0800 023 4567 – free for people phoning from a ‘fixed’ line (eg a landline at home).
0300 123 9123 – free for mobile phone users who pay a monthly charge for calls to numbers starting 01 and 02.

By email: