Over half of British homeowners admit that they forget to ask the right questions when they invite traders into their homes to quote for a job.
TrustMark have just launched a free app for iPhones that prompts you to ask the right questions when having a conversation with a trader. In 11 easy steps, the app advises you what to think about and what your rights are.
The app allows you to:
- generate an instant record of your conversation with a trader
- be prompted to ask the right questions when a trader is in your home and may be quoting for a job (the ‘checklist’ approach helps you ask questions you might otherwise feel a bit awkward about, but which are essential to knowing about the firm and agreeing the work in question)
- record what is agreed using text, photos and recording audio
- email a copy of this conversation to yourself and the trader (creating a record which could help avoid disputes later on, or which could be contractually very helpful if a dispute should arise)
- get advice and tips at every stage, helping to inform you on what to look out for and about your consumer rights
- keep copies of previous conversations for all repair, maintenance and improvement jobs in or around your home.
It is best to get quotes from at least three traders before deciding who will do the work. Using this app, you can compare what you have recorded with quotes from other traders.
TrustMark is a not for profit organisation, licensed by the Government that signposts you to reputable local traders. You can search the TrustMark website to find local traders at www.trustmark.org.uk .
Download the app at www.trustmark.org.uk/apps
If you don’t have an iPhone, you can print a copy of the questions to ask at www.trustmark.org.uk/apps/print/